1. 4 mackerel; cut into four equal sized pieces (head included)
2. 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
3. 1 medium onion; finely chopped
4. For the coconut paste:
• 10 dried Kashmiri chillies, soaked in warm water for at least 15 minutes
• 2 tbsp coriander seeds
• 1 inch ginger, diced
• 1 cup fresh grated coconut
5. 1 tsp turmeric powder
6. 2-3 tbsp tamarind paste
7. 10 Tirphal (or Sichuan peppercorns)
8. Salt, to season
9. 3 sprigs coriander leaves; finely chopped
• Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and sauté the chopped onions till it softens and turns light brown. Keep aside to cool.
• Grind together the onion with soaked chillies, coriander seeds, ginger and coconut with enough water to make a thick, smooth paste.
• Heat the remaining oil in another deep pan and add the ground coconut paste. On low heat, fry the paste for about 5 minutes.
• Add turmeric and continue to fry on low heat for another 2-3 minutes taking care not to burn.
• Next add the tamarind paste and mix well to combine. Add 2 cups of water, season with salt and bring to boil.
• Add the fish pieces carefully and lower heat to simmer gently. Also add the tirphal or peppercorns.
• Cook covered for 5 minutes then mix lightly without breaking the fish pieces. Add more water if necessary. Continue to cook till the fish pieces are done.
• Garnish with coriander leaves.
• Serve warm with rice and enjoy
100+ varieties of seafood | Customised cuts | Chemical-free | Supreme quality.
Supreme Seafood Home Delivery in chennai